LEARN :: FUEL :: PERFORM
These brownies are fudgy, naturally sweetened and simply delicious! The sweet potato purée brings depth to the flavors and makes this treat a healthier option!
- 3/4 cup sweet potato purée
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (or almond butter)
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (or honey)
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate chip + topping (or chopped dark chocolate)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Add to a parchment paper to baking sheet. Halve sweet potato and bake for 30 minutes or until tender to the touch. Cool down for 10 minutes. Then peel away skin and mash in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
Adjust oven temperature to 325 degrees F and line an 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment paper or grease with oil. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, add sweet potato purée, maple syrup, peanut butter, vanilla extract and eggs, and mix evenly with a wooden spoon.
Add flour, cacao powder, salt, and baking powder and stir to combine until a thick batter is achieved. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Transfer batter to baking dish and spread into an even layer using a spatula. Then top with chocolate chips.
Bake for 30 minutes. If you insert a toothpick it should come out mostly clean. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 30 minutes.
Enjoy warm or at room temperature! These can keep at room temperature up to 3 days and in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
* This recipe is inspired by the Fudgy Sweet Potato Brownies recipe from Minimalist Baker.